Need new ideas for your next project? Well, here’s our round-up top 20 A’ Design Award winners from various years. This time, we’d like to highlight the works of Dr. Hakan Gürsu of DesignNobis. We have received many submissions from DesignNobis, but you probably don’t know is that Dr. Gürsu has won many design awards and probably one of designers who contributes a lot to Turkey’s position (currently, Turkey is no. 7) in World Design Rankings. Through this article, we’d like to honor his passions and creativities by featuring top twenty of his works.
Before we start, we’d like to give you a bit introduction to A’ Design Award. It’s one of prestigious design competitions that highlights best of the best in design industry, not just best designs, but also best concepts, and best products & services. It’s a fair, ethical, and competitive platform not just for companies, but also designers and innovators from all design fields, in fact, for newly graduate designers, this is the perfect place to attract prestigious design companies to hire you. Currently this competition is open for submission, you can read more details here: https://competition.adesignaward.com/call-for-entries.html
Dr. Hakan Gürsu is an industrial designer graduated from Middle East Technical University Industrial Design Department in 1984 in first rank and completed his master degree in Architecture and PhD in City Regional Planning. He has done various projects in architecture, interior design, product design, medical device design to toy design.
Here are twenty projects of Dr. Hakan Gürsu of DesignNobis that won A’ Design Awards:
1. Floger Lounge Chair – A’ Design Award Winner for Furniture, Decorative Items and Homeware Design Category in 2010
Inspired by Mother Nature, Floger lounge chair uses a clamshell for its design inspiration. It’s a folding, stackable chair in a compact form for easy storage.
2. Powertower Wooden Toy Set – A’ Design Award Winner for Toy, Games and Hobby Products Design Category in 2010
Building a castle? All kids love it. This wooden toy set is specially designed to accommodate kids’ desire to build their own castle. It has different and modular structural pieces that would allow children to build and customize their towers and castles, the shapes are universal figures, it would be effortless for everyone to play.
3. Elovan Camping Trailer – A’ Design Award Winner for Vehicle, Mobility and Transportation Design Category in 2014
A modern camping trailer that will take you to enjoy nature and wild living safely. It’s been designed as a mobile living space for short getaway, perfect for camping. The solar panels provide electricity for on-board accessories, they all can function even when the vehicle is not moving.
4. Alpina D-DSNB Private Airplane – A’ Design Award Winner for Aerospace and Aircraft Design Category in 2017
Private airplane usually comes in small size, through Alpina D-DSNB, Hakan Gursu wants to show that he can model effective usage of interior space. Designed for four passengers, this lightweight airplane features perforated seating units and high-top glass cover. The front seating can be reached through front canopy while the back seating are located between sliding back doors. Those half wings can be used just like stairs to step into the plane.
5. Biyopsi Biopsy Device – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Scientific Instruments, Medical Devices and Research Equipment Design Category in 2011
Biyopsi is a redesigned biopsy device used to take samples from soft tissue. It has special mechanism that is run in a cartridge placed inside, instead of built on inner parts of the outer caps. This redesigned medical device offers procedural flexibility due to its ergonomic, lightweight, and safe design. It can be operated with one hand while dual triggers can reduce necessary force to mount the device.
6. SurfSail42 Sailboard For Windsurfing and Sailing – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Yacht and Marine Vessels Design Category in 2011
Both windsurfing and sailboarding use surf and sailing elements, it can be said a surf sport. SurfSail42 is a concept foldable, space-saving sailing vessel that can be utilized for sailing as well as surfing. The innovative design allows for both single and dual usage for entertainment, training, or professional purposes.
7. Loft Table – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Furniture, Decorative Items and Homeware Design Category in 2013
Beautiful, modern table that features minimalist design yet pretty elegant for your office. It uses three materials: glass, metal, and wood. The table height is adjustable through the metal lids of its main wooden structure.
8. Tumbler Lamp – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Arts, Crafts and Ready-Made Design Category in 2013
Definitely a unique lamp that sets you apart from traditional oil-lamps. Featuring modern aesthetic look, Tumbler Lamp looks elegant with combination of glass and metal, the spherical metal reservoir becomes the main reason that it is able to display tumbling effect. It wants to address safety issue smartly by always standing.
9. Fume Marker Pen Stand and Package – Golden A’ Design Award Winner for Art Materials, Stationery Supplies and Gift Items Design Category in 2016
Featuring cubic structure, this product helps you to arrange your pens in organized manner. Each pen will be accessible and reduce clutter on your desk.
10. Steam Tea Maker – Platinum A’ Design Award Winner for Home Appliances Design Category in 2013
For tea lovers, steam is a stove-top tea maker that brews tea by passing hot water pressurized by steam through stacked kettles. Inspired by tea culture in East, Steam is designed with stacking teapots where larger, lower kettle is filled with water to boil, then that boiled water evaporates unto upper kettle, steeping loose-leaf tea blend slowly. This process results in a full flavor tea brew.
11. Naxe Axe – Golden A’ Design Award Winner for Hardware, Power and Hand Tools Design Category in 2015
inspired by multi-purpose tools, Naxe Axe has been designed as a professional axe specially for search and rescue mission. It’s a sturdy and stable multitool that can distribute the force evenly without vibration. It is lightweight and ergonomic, it provides an efficient grip and strike thanks to its curved handle.
12. Parabosol Water Cleaning Unit – Silver A’ Design Award Winner for Sustainable Products, Projects and Green Design Category in 2014
Using abundance of sun power, Parabosol offers smart solution for deep rural water supply issue. This concept unit aims to enable water access for remote areas who suffer from the lack of access of clean water and proper sanitation. Using solar power to operate water treatment system, this unit can easily be set up anywhere. Using parabolic mirror to boil water at high temperature then filter is using sand and carbon filter.
13. Sasa Water Bottle Packaging – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Packaging Design Category in 2014
Using BPA-free plastic material, this water bottle packaging has been designed for Sasa Polyester. The structural design expresses innovative characteristics of its material and brand image. The color, form, and shape represent the brand’s identity, it results in aesthetic and sturdy bottle for superior taste.
14. Office on the Go Stationary Kit – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Art Materials, Stationery Supplies and Gift Items Design Category in 2015
Always on-the-go? If you are an office worker who always on-the-go, then you probably need this stationary kit. It’s a set of office utensils that would keep your desk tidy. Each set has been designed in a way that it holds variety of tools together in a compact form.
15. Kardinero Medical Treadmill – Bronze A’ Design Award Winner for Scientific Instruments, Medical Devices and Research Equipment Design Category in 2016
Kardinero has been designed with less mechanical elements unlike those medical treadmills that require routine maintenance. It is designed for the diagnosis of heart diseases with easy to control components in case of a breakdown.
16. Phone Box Public Phone – Silver A’ Design Award Winner for Street Furniture Design Category in 2013
We are not sure if we still need a public phone box, but Hakan Gursu has made an attempt to design one that would fit our urban environment. It features transparent enclosure and elegant design, it blends perfectly with the modern city.
17. Foscat-32 Folding Solar Catamaran – Platinum A’ Design Award Winner for Vehicle, Mobility and Transportation Design Category in 2010
Foscat offers fast sailing solution by utilizing the energy of the sun. It’s an alternative to cat sail-vessel that doesn’t use any fuel with high-energy efficiency. Sailing should be a fun activity that doesn’t affect our environment, Foscat is a concept of cat-boat next generation that encourages environmental responsibility. The unique hull shape makes it sail over big waves very smooth. This foldable catamaran boat is easy to fold on docks and on any sand shore.
18. Wraparound Cord Wrap – Silver A’ Design Award Winner for Art Materials, Stationery Supplies and Gift Items Design Category in 2014
Wraparound is a colorful accessory that you can use to keep your cord tidy. No more dealing with cord mess, you can also use it on the desk by attaching the sticky side.
19. Solar Taxi Vehicle – Silver A’ Design Award Winner for Vehicle, Mobility and Transportation Design Category in 2013
This concept taxi has been designed to address our concern of pollution. Solar Taxi, just like its name suggests, uses only clean energy. This taxi is able to carry up to five passengers with flexible interior, the double door with a ramp enhances its accessibility specially for a passenger with wheelchair. The solar panel on the roof can turn into a transparent hood that allows for a bright interior with panoramic view.
20. Triton Warning System – Golden A’ Design Award Winner for Social Design Category in 2011
Triton as been designed as an alternative guidance system used on the sea or river. The light of this warning system gets its power from the sun and the wind, together they convert into electrical energy needed by Triton. Triton is a floating unit that can be placed around marine entries, ports, or sea shores as a guidance restrictions.
A’ Design Award and Competition is calling for submissions, you can start submitting your best work(s) through this page: https://competition.adesignaward.com/registration.php.